Once called the Little Zion Church, some believe this church was founded in 1842 by slaves. Because slaves were not allowed to own property during this time period, the property was deeded to white trustees. The white Methodist Church on Franklin and St. Michael Streets allowed slaves to worship with them. The whites placed Rev. S. H. Cox in charge of the "colored" congregation and they assembled in a small house located on Church and Dearborn Streets. The present building was constructed in 1867 and sits on the corner of Church and Bayou Streets. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.