Back

Most Pure Heart Mary Church

Visit Website
About

The Church was organized in 1899 as St Anthony's Mission by Creoles of African descent. By 1901, a small school was established. The construction of the present church was completed in 1908. The name was changed to Most Pure Heart of Mary in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mother. The Parish continued as a spiritual beacon to black Mobilians during the Civil Rights Movement of the late Sixties and early Seventies. Most Pure Heart of Mary was the public meeting location for the Neighborhood Organized Workers-NOW. Diocesan priests and nuns participated in boycotts and marches in support of the black community. Most Pure Heart of Mary parish continues as a foundation for Black Catholics in Mobile