This church dates its beginning to 1853. The first three pastors were white. In 1865 the title was transferred to the first African-American pastor, Rev. Charles Leavens. The current building that houses the church dates to 1869. In 1874, the Alabama Baptist Convention passed a resolution at this church to establish an educational institute called Selma University. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.