In 1867, just after the Civil War, Mobile was in the process of reconstruction. In March of that year, Bishop John Quinlan, second bishop of Mobile, recognized the need for a parish in the "outlying western section of Mobile." He appointed the Rev. David O'Meara to establish the parish. During the organizational period of the parish, the infirmary of the Old Catholic Boys' Home on Lafayette Street was used as a chapel. The original church, donated on the corner of Lafayette Street and Spring Hill Shell Road, was a white frame building, dedicated November 29, 1868.